Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Key

The walls are as high as a mountain top
and thick as the ocean is wide
This fortress of steel and mortar and stone
has become the best place to hide.
But what in the world could need such protection?
Is it silver or platinum or gold?
It must be a treasure unequal in measure
or secrets that cannot be told.
The truth will surprise you, I promise it will,
for it's almost too awful to bear.
It's my heart I keep locked up, hidden away
to protect it from hurt and despair.
My heart was once shattered to pieces, you see,
and it really was quite a mess.
When everything was mended and patched up again,
I then did what I thought was best.
This wall I did build, stone by stone from the ground
and sheltered myself from more pain.
If my heart can't be reached and broken once more,
then I've spared myself once again.
Can this high wall be scaled or broken in two?
Will true love my heart ever see?
It will, for you see there's a door in my wall,
and one person holds the lone key.
He'll come into my life and unlock the door.
He'll fill my heart with love.
The wall will come down, piece by piece it will fall
from the inside, with help from God above.
I know this for certain. I have not one fear.
God will send this angel to me.
He's somewhere searching, pining for us,
this boy who hold's my heart's key.

(c) 2003 - Angela Johnson

No comments: